Pallaskenry is located approximately 20km to the west of Limerick City.The village runs along the L1201-922 located approximately 3km north of the N69 Limerick to Tralee Road. Pallaskenry is surrounded by a complex network of local routes, linking the village to the neighbouring settlements of Kilcornan (3.5km to west), Kildimo (5km to the south east) and Ballysteen (6km to the west). The Shannon Estuary is located approximately 3km to the north of the village core at Ringmoylan Pier. The River Maigue runs in a south to north direction approximately 5km to the east of the village core.
Village Layout and Landscape Setting
Pallaskenry is an attractive rural village with a relatively compact settlement pattern. The settlement is surrounded by a complex network of local routes. Pallaskenry would be considered a satellite settlement of Limerick City and, as such, the village has experienced some development with 3 relatively recent housing developments –The Lime Yard, An Curran and Ros Choill – in close proximity to the village core. Despite this level of development, the village has maintained its rural character with limited impact on the visual amenity of the area.
The landscape of the wider Pallaskenry area is dominated by undulating hills with mature hedgerows. There is a diverse range of habitats in the area with lakes, dense foliage and proximity to the River Shannon estuary.
Historical and Cultural Context
Pallaskenry derives its name from the castle support structure, literally meaning ‘The Pallisaded Fortress of Kenry’. There are several castles in the area, including Cullam castle, Ballyculhane castle and Dromore castle. At the time of the Cromwellian plantation in the mid 1650′s Phineas Barry was granted thousands of acres of confiscated lands in the Pallaskenry/Kildimo area and were given the titles Earls of Charleville.
They went on to develop Pallaskenry from a village into an estate town. By the early 1830’s Pallaskenry had become quite a prosperous town with spinning, weaving and cider making being the main industries.
In the early 1800’s, Pallaskenry was also recognisable as one of the county’s leading agriculture areas with abundant crops and the quality of its grain. In 1845 Major Caulfield purchased the Copsewood estate, Copsewood house was built in 1846 the Caulfield family remained at Copsewood until 1916. In 1918 the Caulfied family returned to England and sold their land.
In July 1920 the Salesian Order opened a very successful Agriculture College at Copsewood. The college is now a secondary school as well as catering for agriculture students.